Regulatory advisory work encompasses all areas of economic regulation, including the utilities (energy, communications, transport, water and post), financial services, health, the environment, professional services and a range of other economic sectors and contexts.
Projects have ranged from small research assignments on discrete topics, such as academic literature reviews, to large collaborative projects involving extensive data analysis and modelling, stakeholder engagement and the use of surveys.
We have also provided expert analysis in numerous access dispute matters relating to pricing of network services in the energy, financial services, telecommunications, transport and water sectors (for private companies and regulators)
Examples of recent work:
- The economics of electronic conspicuity for manned and unmanned aerial vehicles for the UK Civil Aviation Authority
- Review of Consumer Impact Report 2019 for the British energy regulator Ofgem
- Review of the economic impacts of the EU’s Payment Package
- Goals-Based and Rules-Based approaches to regulation for the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Analysis of the costs of water resource management options to enhance drought resilience for the UK National Infrastructure Commission
- Review of Consumer Impact Report 2018 for the British energy regulator Ofgem
- Exploratory analysis of the prospects for, and potential impacts of, ATM scheme competition for the UK Payment Systems Regulator
- Assessment of the economic rationale for, and possible impacts of, proposed changes to the Solicitors Regulation Authority Handbook for the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- The Impact on End-Users of the work of the Payment Systems Regulator for the UK Payment Systems Regulator
- Review of Positive Impact Assessments approach, methodology and calculations for the British energy regulator Ofgem
- Indirect access to payment systems: insights from access theory and practice for the UK Payment Systems Regulator
- Regulatory implications of new products and services in electricity markets for the Australian Energy Market Commission
- A proto-type framework for assessing the economic impacts of the work of the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency on UK citizens and consumers.
- Regulating a network monopoly and principles of tariff setting and revenue recovery for the British energy regulator Ofgem
- Impacts of recent interventions in the Australian Payment Systems
- Overview of approaches to strategy setting for payment systems for the UK Financial Conduct Authority
- Peer review of the Impact Assessment on substantive amendments to the Commission Proposal on Legal Aid for the European Parliament
- In 2018 and 2019, he was the independent academic reviewer of Ofgem’s Consumer Impact Report.
- Acting as independent economic advisor to the Legal Services Board for its Costs of Regulation project
- Government-Sponsored voluntary regulation in the retail sector submitted to the UK government and European Commission
- International Insights for the Better Economic Regulation of Infrastructure for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the Australian Energy Regulator for its
- A review of studies on the ‘costs of cash’
- Analysis of the potential impacts of water scarcity, including the potential economic and social impacts
- A report on international approaches to the regulation of interchange fees and merchant service charges
- Forms and Lessons from Consumer Involvement in Regulatory Decision Making for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- A report on revenue recovery and network pricing for fibre networks in communications
- Undertaking work relating to airline alliances, inter-modal substitutability between airlines and railways, and airport competition
- Various assessments for the European Commission on the impacts of policy measures at the EU level including an: assessment of the mid-term economic impacts of the European Energy Programme for Recovery; an Assessment of the Intelligent Energy-Europe II Programme; an Evaluation of Executive Agency for Competitiveness and Innovation.